This is a rare photograph of Holy Chalices in the Byzantine Style in the preparation apse to the left of the sanctuary. The middle chalice is an exact replica of a famous Holy Chalice given to Vatopaidi by either Thomas Preljubović or Thomas Komninos Palaiologos, the ruler of Epirus. The original, dated around 1370, is in the Sacristy of the Monastery.
This chalice (as well as the others) is distinguished by the astonishing number of small pearls, together with many other jewels and Byzantine enamel. The craftsmanship is of high quality, especially considering that the object is more than 700 years old.
These holy vessels are in stark contrast to the poverty and simplicity of monastic life. The most precious things are for God, not for the monks themselves.